I’m always inspired when someone decides to stop doing what they “like”… in order to do what they LOVE. Within the past few years, I’ve watched a few amazing people around me start companies that turn their passions into realities. In the spirit of entrepreneurship, this post is for them.
- Geben Communication. When Heather Whaling (@prtini) wanted to move back to Columbus, OH almost two years ago, she decided it was time to take nearly a decade of PR agency experience into her own hands. Now, she rules the online (okay, and offline, too) PR scene. Mashable comes to her.
- CageHero. Two MMA fanatics (who yes, are also best friends) Ian Parker and Mark Mastrandrea didn’t see a clothing line with a strong positive message. What better solution than to start one? Now, with approximately one dozen fighters wearing their gear, along with an extended women’s and baby line, this clothing line shows that yes, indeed, “The Hero Comes From Within.”
- Centers for Animal Therapies. Originating from a vision by owner Jo Maldonado to offer the general public a complete program towards the understanding of animals, preserving of natural and natural healing techniques, CAT now offers a variety of courses to Central Florida. Topics include anything from animal business and behavioral classes to reiki and communication. Essentially, if you can dream it up, there’s a class on it with CAT.
- Sassy Sweet Treats.The most amazing cookie and brownie company. Ever. Shipped all over the country from Jersey City, NJ, Chief Baking Officer Jennie Broderick turned her passion for a fabulous Chocolate Chunk cookie into a sustainable business nearly five years ago. With product available online, as well as local delivery (hello, Whoopie Pies!) and farmers’ markets, this is perfect holiday/hostess/housewarming/just because gift. And really, a Cookie of the Month Club to boot?!
- Independent Writers and Editors (like Sarah Sekula and Ashley Cisneros). These ladies left their corporate careers with magazines and PR firms to freelance. Now, they attend and cover fabulous events, take trips around the globe, and write intensely amazing human interest pieces. Oh, and they get paid to do so.